Make Smart Health Care Decisions
And Lower Your Out-Of-Pocket Medical Costs
Laurie Churchill, Field Representative
Did you know that costs of medical tests and procedures often vary widely with no significant difference in quality? This is why Harvard Pilgrim has a voluntary program for you and your family members called SaveOn, a voluntary program that makes it easy to find care at a lower-cost facility for elective, outpatient medical procedures and diagnostic tests.
How Does SaveOn Work?
- Call the SaveOn nurse at 855-7SaveOn or 855-772-8366, when your doctor orders a non-emergency outpatient test or procedure, such as a bone density study, colonoscopy, lab work, radiology (e.g., MRI and CT scan), mammogram or ultrasound.
- The SaveOn nurse will:
If you choose to, and receive care from a lower-cost provider, you will earn a cash reward between $25 and $75, which will be mailed to you after Harvard Pilgrim processes your claim.Rewards are considered taxable income.
Your plan requires a referral and/or prior authorization before you receive services from the lower cost provider. Please contact your Primary Care Physician (PCP) to obtain a referral and/or prior authorization.
- Compare the cost of health care facilities near you.
- Let you know if there are any lower-cost Harvard Pilgrim participating providers in the area.
- Reschedule your appointment and help with any paperwork.
- Help you find publicly available information about the quality of health care providers
These services are not included in the SaveOn program:
- Infertility services;
- Services for behavioral and mental health, including substance use disorders;
- Prescription drugs;
- Emergency services; or
- Sleep studies.
Have a Procedure Scheduled?
To see if you can lower your out-of-pocket costs, call SaveOn at 855-7SaveOn or 855-772-8366.
SaveOn is not offered on all Harvard Pilgrim plans. Ask us or your employer if your plan includes SaveOn.
Keep in mind that Harvard Pilgrim also has an easy-to-use online medical cost transparency tool called Estimate My Cost that all of our Harvard Pilgrim members can use to find cost estimates for providers and hospitals in Harvard Pilgrim’s network. Read more about that in the March 2018 issue of Dateline: NH in the article entitled “It’s Getting Easier to Estimate Health Care Cost” online at http://bit.ly/2pxXQKF.
Contact me if you have questions at 800-852-3372 or reach me with an email message at email@example.com.